History of the dish
Eggplant caviar is a dish that became popular in our country already in Soviet times. The book 500 Surprising Facts About Russia claims that eggplant caviar appeared in Russia in the 17th century and that it was brought from eastern Iran. This is not surprising, because it was in the Middle East, Asia and India that this vegetable grew.
- Eggplant - 1 kg
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Sunflower oil - 120 ml
- Carrot - 1 pc.
- Onion - 1 pc.
- Bulgarian pepper - 1 pc.
- Tomatoes - 2 pcs.
- Vinegar 9% - 30 g
- Ground black pepper -1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 1-2 cloves
- Fresh parsley - 1 bunch
- Before cooking eggplant caviar, prepare all the ingredients. Eggplants for caviar should be chosen even, with an elastic dark skin. Soft and sluggish fruits will be bitter, so they will need to be soaked longer in a salt solution. The amount of other ingredients can be used to your liking, but we like this ratio of eggplant and other vegetables.
Let's prepare all the ingredients for cooking caviar.
- Eggplant must be prepared before cooking. With a sharp knife, remove the thin dark peel from the vegetables.
We prepare the eggplant, peel it.
- Cut the vegetables into small cubes with a side of about 0.8-1 cm. To do this, cut each peeled eggplant first along into 4-5 parts, and then into thin strips. Then cut the strips crosswise into cubes. Place all chopped vegetables in a deep bowl.
Cut the eggplant into small cubes and put in a deep bowl.
- Generously salt the eggplant cubes and mix so that all the vegetables are in the salt. Thanks to her, vegetables will release their bitterness and excess moisture, and our caviar will not be watery. Leave aside for 10-15 minutes.
Salt eggplant and leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze the eggplants from moisture and put them on a frying pan heated with some vegetable oil. Saute vegetables over medium heat until dark and golden brown. Be careful, vegetables absorb oil very much at first, but it is better not to add it. By the middle of frying, this oil will begin to stand out from the vegetables and they will not burn.
In a frying pan in vegetable oil, fry the eggplants until dark and golden brown.
- While the eggplants are fried, cut the carrots and onions into cubes, having previously peeled them.
Cut onions and carrots into cubes.
- In the remaining vegetable oil in another pan, fry the carrot cubes and onions until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
Fry carrots and onions in vegetable oil until soft.
- Tomatoes and sweet peppers are cut into cubes of about 1x1 cm. The peel from the tomatoes can not be peeled, it will be imperceptible in the finished caviar. But if you do not like it in ready-made dishes, then scald the tomatoes with boiling water and leave it in it for 1 minute - in this case, a thin film of the peel can be easily removed from the tomato.
Dice tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Add tomatoes and peppers to the pan with onions and carrots, fry together for another 5-7 minutes until sweet peppers are soft.
Fry tomatoes and sweet peppers together with carrots and onions for another 5-7 minutes.
- When the vegetables are soft, add vinegar to the pan, stir and turn off the heat.
Pour vinegar into the pan with vegetables and turn off the heat.
- In the meantime, the eggplants have fried, have almost halved in size, become soft and dark in color.
The fried eggplants have shrunk and darkened.
- Put the fried onions, carrots, peppers and tomatoes in the eggplant pan, mix and simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
We shift the contents of the pan with vegetables to the eggplants and mix.
- Cut the parsley finely, cut the garlic into small pieces. Can be crushed with a special tool.
Chop garlic and parsley.
- Add herbs and garlic to the pan, mix, cover with a lid and turn off the heat. We let it brew under a closed lid for 10-15 minutes. If eggplant caviar is being prepared for the winter, immediately place it in sterile jars and tighten the lids. Let the jars cool in warm blankets and lower them into a cold basement.
Add garlic and vegetables to the eggplant, mix and let cool slightly under the lid.
- Ready-made eggplant caviar of a beautiful bright color, almost uniform in texture, with a pleasant garlic and vegetable aroma.
Eggplant caviar is ready, help yourself!
The benefits of the dish
Recipes such as the recipe for eggplant caviar are needed by every housewife. In addition to the obvious advantages, such as ease of preparation, ease of consumption - you can eat both in winter and summer, cheapness, this dish has another big plus. In the East, eggplant is called a longevity vegetable, because it contributes to the good functioning of the heart and circulatory system. Thanks to its taste, usefulness and almost homogeneous consistency, eggplant caviar can be eaten by everyone - both small children and the elderly.