Brief history of the dish
Russian ‘’Pirozhki'' pies is the dish with whatever filling which can be either baked or fried. The word "‘’Pirozhki'' itself derives from the Russian ‘’pirog’’ (pie). IN fact, this is basically a small pie. Russian ‘’Pirozhki'' pies has always been a commonly known dish on almost everyone table in some regions of eastern Europe. The filling could be made of berries, fruits, cottage cheese, meat, vegetable, even fish or grains. Cabbage pies were very widely spread because cabbage has always been one of the most affordable vegetables. Therefore, everyone loves them. HozOboz is also sure you’l and your guest will definitely enjoy the ones made acceding to our current recipe!
Healthy features of the dish
HozOboz has already stated that the benefit of any bakery products is very relatival. But don’t forget that such a dish can still hunger faster than any other. It will also give na energy boost to your body. However, the advantages we got from it, is only about our taste receptors, not the brilliant shape of our body. But remember, you will easily keep fit if you consume it before midday.
The main ingredients of the dish
- 10 grams of dry yeast
- a teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- an egg
- 8 oz. of milk
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 500 grams of flour (may need a bit more)
The main ingredients of the filling
- 2 cups of sauerkraut
- an onion
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Easy Russian ‘’Pirozhki'' cabbage pies recipe
- Firstly, let’s make a cabbage pies dough. Break an egg into the deep bowl and add some salt and sugar in.
To make a dough, whip the egg with sugar and salt in the bowl.
- Then pour the previously heated milk (it must be worm, hot!) and add the dry yeast.
Now add the warm milk and dry yeast.
- Mix the contents of the bowl.
Mix everything in the bowl.
- Then pour the vegetable oil into the bowl, we have the sunflower one, for example.
Add some oil to the dough.
- Now it’s time to add the flour. To start, pour 400 grams of it, then start kneading the dough the remaining 100 grams until it does not stick to your hands. This amount of flour usually suffice but mind that there different kinds of flour.
Add the flour, start with 400 grams then add 100 more if needed. Keep adding the flour until it stops sticking to your hands.
- Form the ball from the dough.
Knead the flour boring the sphere.
- Place the dough into the pan and cover it with a lid.
Ready made dough should put into the pan and covered with a lid.
- Put the pan into the plastic bag and wrap it in the towel. Place everything into the preheat oven for 25 minutes at 360F. But before you place it into the oven, you’d better turn it off.
Place the pan into the plastic bag and cover with a cloth, then place it in the preheat oven at 360F for 25 minutes.
- Now it’s time ti make filling. Cut the onion finely, then fry it on the vegetable oil.
To make the filing, cut the onion and fry it.
- Add the cabbage to the onion. If you want, add some salt and pepper, but it’s rather optional. Fry it on a low heat for 15 minutes.
Add the cabbage, then fry everything for 15 minutes. You may add some salt and pepper if you like.
- Finally, it’s time to put the pan with dough out of the oven. As you see, the dough has doubled in size. You’ll get delicious [Russian ‘’Pirozhki'' cabbage pies the recipe] of which you’re now reading.
When the dough has doubled in size it should be put out of the oven.
- Knead the dough, tear some pieces of it, and, having put the filling inside, for the small cabbage pies recipe of which HozOboz provides for you today.
Now knead the dough add divide it into large pieces and form the pies of the size you like.
- Close up the pies.
It is important to close up the edges of pie s tightly so that during baking they do not fall apart.
- Place the pies on the over-tray seam down, if you want you may grease them with vegetable oil. You can also use egg yolk.
Ready pies should be placed seam down on oiled baking dish. Now, lubricate the pies with beaten egg yolk.
- Bake the pies at 400F for about 15-20 minutes. Now you have the ready-made cabbage pies, the photo confirms that.
You should bake the pies at 400F for 20 minutes.
Now, you get extremely delicious cabbage pies! You may use any filling you want because the dough you were acquainted with on HozOboz is very versatile. By the way, cabbage filling may differ too. In summer, for instance, you may have fresh cabbage filling. You just need to fry some onion, add the fresh cabbage, fill it with milk and cook. Then add some salt, fresh egg or two, whip everything and that’s it. On the whole, this express-method of yeast dough preparation gives a variety of options. Anyway, you already know how to cook cabbage pies.