In addition, according to historical data, several important culinary countries claim their invention of cabbage: China, Germany and Georgia, but they all have different approaches in this respect. The Chinese think that the cabbage rolls appeared as a consequence when one Chinese scholar began to sink in the water, and his students, to scare away the fish, started throwing handfuls of boiled rice wrapped in cabbage. At the same time one of the students guessed to try the wrap by himself fish and actually astonished by the taste. The Germans argue that the word "stuffed cabbage" is borrowed from their language ( Kohlblatt ) and therefore they are the founders of this dish.
But the Georgians, comparing the preparation of cabbage rolls with the creation of dolma, see some grave plagiarism with respect to their national dish. And only the Slavs transformed cabbage rolls and their recipe to simplify the process and make it incredibly easy. And that means they are considered to be real pioneers of this dish! To learn how to make cabbage rolls, first of all we need to stock up on necessary food.
So, the list of ingredients you need:
- 700 grams of ground beef (500 grams of fatty pork and 200 grams of beef);
- 1 cabbage;
- 2 carrots;
- 1 large onion;
- 200 grams of rice;
- 2 eggs;
- 4 tbsp. of flour;
- 2 tbsp. of tomato paste;
- 1 tsp. of salt;
- 1/2 tsp. of sugar;
- 50 ml of vegetable oil;
- Herbs for flavor.
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp. of sour cream or mayonnaise;
- 2 tbsp. of ketchup or tomato paste;
- A couple of bay leaves;
- 1 tbsp. of hot water.
You will spend much less time creating delicious lazy cabbage rolls than you usually do when creating the usual cabbage rolls, but anyway you have to be patient enough to make a them really tasty, just don't forget to use our recipe for cabbage rolls with photos!
How to make lazy cabbage rolls
- To get started, we need to prepare all the necessary products.
First of all, prepare the ingredients.
- Now, mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a separate bowl.
Combine all the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Break two chicken and add them to the minced meat eggs, then mix thoroughly.
Add the eggs to the ground beef, then mix everything thoroughly.
- Then peel all the vegetables and wash them, and remove the upper cabbage leaves. Carrot should be rubbed on a coarse grater, onion is cut into cubes and cabbage is chopped as well.
Wash the veggies and grind them in any convenient way.
- Many cooks do use rice decoction for the lazy cabbage rolls, but if you cook according to the original recipe, the rice should still be boiled! Cook rice in salted boiling water for 15-20 minutes. Do not forget to add a teaspoon of vegetable oil to it! Thus rice won’t be sticky. After cooking, throw to back in the colander and quickly rinse in cold water. Rice will become al dente.
Cook in salted water with a spoonful of vegetable oil for about 15 minutes. Then cooked rice is rinsed with cold water and placed in a colander to get rid of excess moisture.
- In the cauldron or pan, heat up the vegetable oil and fry chopped onion with grated carrot until soft for about 5-10 minutes. Strong fry is not necessary lest the vegetables are scorched.
In a pot, pour vegetable oil and heat it, fry the onions there first, then the carrots.
- Add some shredded cabbage there and simmer for another 10 minutes, until it is twice smaller.
Now it's time to add shredded cabbage which should bee simmered for at least 10 minutes.
- As soon as that moment comes, add the rice to the vegetables and mix thoroughly.
When the cabbage gets twice smaller, add the rice and mix everything thoroughly.
- Add tomato paste in the end.
Now, add the tomato paste and stir again.
- The resulting vegetable stuffing should be spread in a bowl and cooled a bit, then mixed with ground beef. Season with salt, sugar and pepper, and keep stirring.
Place cooked rice and vegetable into a bowl and cool, then season with salt and spices.
- Mold small cutlets, dipping hands into the water and spread them on the board. They keep their shape perfectly because of chicken eggs.
Slightly water your hands and mold meatballs.
- Pour the flour on the plate, cover every cabbage with it.
In a separate plate, cover every cabbage roll with flour.
- Spread them on the board and heat some vegetable oil in a skillet for further frying them.
Heat the vegetable oil after placing rolls on a cutting board.
- It’s recommended to use pans with high sides, as we immediately fill them with sauce to have them well stewed. There two cabbage rolls for serving, so make sure you properly count all your family members!
In a deep saucepan, fry cabbage rolls and immediately fill it with the sauce and boil for some more time.
- Fry rolls on each side for 2-3 minutes.
Spread the stuffed cabbage in a saucepan, fry for approximately 3 minutes.
- While they are being fried, let’s make the sauce of water, ketchup, sour cream and some bay leaves.
For the sauce, you should have ketchup, sour cream and some spices such as bay leaf.
- As soon as the cabbage rolls are evenly fried on both sides, pour the sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes. They will be completely simmered in and out, acquire rich taste and aroma. Turn off the heat, add a little fresh or dried herbs and give it a rest.
Fried on both sides, they should now be poured with sauce and simmered, then removed from the heat and left for some time.
- Spread them on a plate with a colorful sauce which gives a great aftertaste.
When serving make sure to pour more sauce which will give the dish rich flavor and piquancy.
By the way, you may not cook all the rolls at once, just put them in the freezer and use later. To do this, you just need need to put them on a plate and freeze after covering the rolls with flour, and after half an hour place them in bags or food containers. Next time you take them from the refrigerator you’ll only have to fry them frozen in the vegetable oil and stew in the sauce for about 15 -20 minutes.
The main benefit is satiety of the dish
Lazy cabbage rolls very satisfying and nourishing because they include not only meat and vegetables but also rice, so it is recommended to serve as a separate dish for lunch or dinner. With this food, you will not feel hunger for a long time and will be able to work constructively and confidently for a long time. These cabbage rolls are particularly loved by children, but planning to prepare cabbage rolls for children, make sure to exclude black pepper and mayonnaise, and instead of frying veggies just-slightly steam them.
Enjoy your meal.