History of the dish:
Super fluffy Japanese pancakes are, one might say, a modern dish and this pastry has no deep historical roots. Now it is very difficult to find clear information about where the first cafe in Tokyo was, where Japanese fluffy pancakes began to be prepared, but when the inhabitants of the huge metropolis discovered this delicacy for themselves, the line at the cafe was incredible to try this magnificent miracle of gastronomy.
Of course, the franchise for such a dish quickly spread throughout Japan, and many chefs also tried to reproduce the recipe at home. Traditionally, the recipe has been slightly modified by varying the amount of ingredients and adding, for example, soft cheeses or even mayonnaise. And at the same time, Japanese spring rolls with or without filling have always remained uniquely unchanged in essence.
It is very important to beat the whites correctly and the baking process itself should be slow, unhurried. I also want to offer you to bake lush Japanese pancakes whose recipe can be called almost classic. It should be noted here that our Japanese pancake for rolls (and we most often associate Japanese cooking with this dish) will definitely be unsuitable because of its excessive splendor. Let's get started.
- Egg - 1 pc.
- Flour - 80 g
- Milk - 250 ml
- Butter - 20 g
- Vanillin - 2 g
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Preparation of ingredients will take a minimum of time. When measuring flour, remember that it may need a little more or a little less - in this case, you need to monitor the consistency of the dough. Sugar is also not fixed in its quantity, as someone will like sweeter or less sweet pastries - I picked up a middle ground.
Preparing the ingredients.
- Very carefully separate the eggs into two whites and two yolks in separate containers.
Let's separate the eggs.
- Sift the flour into a spacious bowl, add sugar, baking powder, vanillin there, add the yolks.
Combine the ingredients for the dough.
- Pour warm milk to all these ingredients. It is not necessary to heat it specially, but it should not be from the refrigerator. That is, it will be enough if the milk stands a little on the kitchen table before cooking.
- With a whisk, actively mix the contents of the bowl.
We mix everything.
- Let's deal with proteins. Putting them in a separate dry bowl, adding salt to them, start the mixer at maximum speed and beat into a stable stable foam. Let's check the degree of readiness of the protein mass by turning the bowl upside down, while the protein foam should be absolutely motionless.
Let's beat the whites.
- Put the foam from the proteins in a bowl with the flour mixture.
Add egg whites to batter.
- With sparing movements of a spoon / spatula, mix the proteins into the bulk of the dough.
We mix everything.
- Now let's pay attention to the consistency of the dough for additional flour correction. The dough should turn out to be very airy, but not liquid, approximately, like on lush pancakes, that is, it will be laid out in a pan, and not drain from a spoon. And now it's time to add a little flour, if there is a need for this.
The dough is ready.
- We choose a proven frying pan with a high-quality coating. Melt a piece of butter on it over minimal heat so that a very thin oil layer is obtained. The next step is the formation of pancakes. The whole secret is that they should turn out lush, well, and preferably beautiful. Therefore, it is very convenient to use a confectionery ring (or rings) for baking. Of course, you can bake these pancakes without rings, but then the shape of the finished baking will not be quite neat. I only have one ring with a diameter of 7 cm, so I stretched the baking process a little. We put a ring on a preheated pan with a thin layer of melted butter (be sure to grease the inside of the ring with butter) and put the dough inside 2/3 of the total volume.
Let's make pancakes.
- Then everything is simple. Without increasing the intensity of the fire, bake the pancakes in the ring, closing the pan with a lid. When one side is baked, you can turn it over to the other, but I didn’t do that - everything was perfectly baked on one side on a very small fire under the lid. I spent about 8 minutes on one pancake. With a little (very little) effort, we remove the fluffy pancake from the ring and put it on a plate. We repeat all the steps again until the dough is completely processed.
Pancakes are ready.
- Wonderful fluffy pancakes can be served immediately with any sweet filler, can also be served with sour cream. And I hope that the question "how to cook Japanese pancakes?" for you it is no longer such, and you were able to experience that the simplicity of this dish is unconditional, and the taste qualities are worthy of the highest appreciation of the most strict connoisseur.
Enjoy your meal! Serving Japanese pancakes.
Benefits of the dish:
Since Japanese pancakes, the recipe of which has just been offered to you, are subjected to minimal heat treatment, we can talk about healthy carbohydrates that can charge your body with high-quality energy for a long time. And also the amazing taste of this delicate pastry will surely raise the mark of your good mood to the maximum division.