Some history of the dish
Azerbaijan cuisine is the ancient one, the main ingredients of the majority of dishes is flavored meat and spices. A large number of dishes stuffed with minced meat and herbs were invented in the Caucasus. However, dushbara or dumplings were first cooked in China and spread around the world. The original Chinese dumplings recipe naturally underwent changes and acquired its distinctive features in almost every nation's cuisine. Compared with others, caucasian dushbyarya were the smallest, and there is no accurate information why. But really, it’ll take three times more to cook this dish than conventional dumplings. However, the work and patience invested in molding the dough are worth it because we promise you’ll love the soup to the moon and back!
Ingredients for dushbara dumpling soup:
For the broth:
- 300 grams of beef bones
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 bay leaf
For the dough:
- 1 tbsp. of flour
- 2 eggs (or just egg yolks)
For the filling:
- 400 grams of veal meat
- 2 onions - 2 heads;
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 crust of bread
- paprika, ground coriander and salt
For the soup:
- fresh cilantro and saffron
Dushbara dumpling soup recipe:
- Broth preparation is an important point. Wash beef bone, put it in a saucepan and fill with cold water. Add peeled vegetables: carrots should be cut into halves and whole onion. Bay leaf is optional but it can give more flavor. Boil and remove the scum three times, and only after it salt the broth and cook until ready. It may take about an hour.
For the broth, put washed beef bone and peeled and cut carrots with onion in a pot of cold water. You can add a bay leaf for a special aroma. When the broth starts boiling, cook it on medium heat for about 1 hour.
- Knead the dough for dumplings. Sift the flour in the bowl and salt it it.
For the dough, pour flour and salt into a bowl.
- Divide the eggs and ( you’d better choose small-sized eggs) and add only yolks to the dough.
Then add the egg yolks.
- Start whisking eggs with flour and gradually add the cold water.
Mix the flour with the egg yolks and add a little cold water, bringing the dough to the desired consistency.
- Knead the dough thoroughly with a spoon first, and then by hand for about ten minutes on the surface of the table.
Knead the dough with a spoon at first, then manually for 10 minutes.
- As a result, you will get soft dough ball from which we will sculpt dumplings. Place the dough in the fridge and move on to the stuffing preparation.
Put the dough i the fridge.
- Peel the garlic and onions and cut them so that they could be easily converted into the stuffing.
Onion and garlic should be peeled and cut into chunks.
- Pas beef fill through a meat grinder.
Mince the veal.
- Put the onion and garlic there as well. Also, it is preferable to push the contents of the grinder contents with a piece of bread. Thus the stuffing won’t seethe during cooking, because we excluded the egg today. Although one added if you like.
After meat, grind onion and garlic, and if desired, and a slice of white bread.
- Stir and season with fragrant spices (paprika with coriander).
Add the necessary spices and condiments.
- The next step of the recipe is rather important. Be patient and start rolling the dough and molding dumplings. Tear a half of the dough ball you have and roll out the piece into a thin cake on floured table surface. The process usually takes 10-15 minutes.
Divide the dough in halves and roll it out into a thin layer on a floured surface.
- Take a ruler and a sharp knife. Transform the dough into a long ribbon width of 2 cm. Then do a notches and get the rectangular forms.
Roll out the dough and cut it into 2 cm width strips, then divide them across, so as to obtain small rectangles.
- Place minced meat in very small amounts (1/3 teaspoon) on each rectangular piece.
In each rectangle, lay about 1/3 tsp of minced meat.
- Mold tiny opened envelopes and leave them for easy drying for about an hour. Go deal with broth if it is ready.
Then, using the photo, mold small open envelopes, which then should be left on the table to dry out.
- Remove all the contents of the pan where the broth was cooked, and filter the liquid itself.
Prepare the broth: for this we shall take out all of pan's contents, carefully filter the liquid.
- Again, boil it, halve the heat and gently spread the dumplings in the broth and raise them from the bottom of the pan with a slotted spoon.
Return the soup on the stove and boil. Then, put the dumplings in and immediately stir gently with a slotted spoon so that they do not stuck.
- After some time, the dumplings will come to the surface, and at this point we add the saffron. Mind that the soup has acquired a bright yellow color and a delicious flavor. Turn off the stove, because we do not want our crumbs to fall apart? Of course not!
Once dumplings come to the surface, add the saffron and the soup will acquire a unique color and flavor.
- Dushbara soup is prepared for no more than 5-7 minutes (not counting the broth).
Cook the soup for no more than 7 minutes.
- With ladle spill, poor the soup in deep bowls. Each portion contains about 30-40 envelopes with meat.
Now pour hot soup plates and put into each of at least 30 dumplings.
- Serve for lunch. If you wish, complement dushbara with chopped cilantro.
After wards, immediately serve soup to the table, and, if desired, garnish with fresh chopped herbs.
Some other variations and options:
- Prepare dushbara with chicken broth;
- mold dumplings a little more than classic dushbara and fry them in a pan;
- add fried onion and tomato to the broth;
- Season the dish with mint, dill or parsley.
Healthy features of dushbara soup
All the products used for the preparation of dushbara soup, the recipe of which have today, are rather healthy. Being digested quickly, it warms and nourishes our body, improves digestion, being an excellent prevention of all diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Soups usually contain much less calories than basic second courses. For example, one dushbara plate is twice as healthy than a plate of dumplings without broth. Sauces for first course are rarely used, and the liquid in your body is stored longer than any other drink, but after eating.
As you can see, there’s nothing complicated in the recipe, although at first glance it may seem that the broth boiling, kneading, molding tiny dumplings may take a plenty of time. However, everyone can sometimes put off the work and gather with your family around the kitchen table to eat dumplings, so let it be dushbara upon HozOboz’s recipe!