You should not think that some hostess decided to demonstrate her unwillingness to cook, and here is the result - broken cucumbers. On the contrary, in the East there is a certain philosophy of food, according to which vegetables should have minimal contact with the knife. Although, all this is just an assumption and it is not known for certain where the salad of broken cucumbers came from. Most likely, these are the features of the national cuisine and the general principles for an appetizer: ease of preparation, good taste, no heaviness after eating. By the way, the taste really turns out to be quite good, and the smell is even better, it stimulates the appetite, and it is difficult to overeat cucumbers.
- cucumbers (medium fruit) - 1 kg;
- garlic (cloves) - 2 pcs.;
- cayenne pepper - 1 pc.;
- soy sauce (light) - 72 ml (or 4 tablespoons);
- sesame oil - 15 ml (or 1 tsp);
- rice vinegar (premium 3%) - 45 ml (or 3 tablespoons);
- ginger (dried) - ¼ tsp;
- honey - 7 g;
- salt (sea) - 15 g;
- sesame seeds.
Let's cook a recipe for beaten cucumbers - Chinese cuisine
- First, let's take suitable cucumbers - they should be medium in size, because large ones will look less neat. All other products from the set are also important, and if you can’t find, for example, rice vinegar, it’s better not to pick up any other, but replace it with lemon juice.
Products for Chinese snack
- Actually, then we wash the cucumbers with cold water, it is allowed to scrape the peel a little with a knife, the places of the stalk and inflorescences in order to clean the vegetables as much as possible - then lay them out on the board, beat them off with a pusher or rolling pin, constantly turning. It will be felt when the cucumber is already “beaten”, you can stop this process.
We break cucumbers with a crush
- To make the recipe for beaten cucumbers authentic Chinese - we extract seeds from vegetables. Very easy job as they fall off by themselves. We tear the vegetables with our hands into large pieces - this is also easy to do intuitively, you get four to five parts. For now, it’s worth forgetting about aesthetics, but there are still several stages ahead. Salt the workpiece, put it in a colander and leave for half an hour to remove the juice.
Cooking cucumbers for salad
- Make dressing: in a bowl, combine chopped very finely chopped cayenne pepper, garlic, season with light soy sauce, combined with rice vinegar, honey and dried ginger - whisk vigorously. Next is the turn of sesame oil. The result should be an emulsion, homogeneous and enveloping.
We make an emulsion that will become a marinade
- We return to the cucumbers - we wipe them with a paper towel, removing the juice. Transfer to a shallow enamel bowl.
We put the dried cucumbers in an enamel bowl
- Fill with emulsion, distributing it evenly. Shake the bowl several times so that the marinade is distributed over each piece. By the way, that's why it was necessary to "beat" the cucumbers.
Fill cucumbers with marinade emulsion
- We cover the workpiece with a saucer, you can press it with oppression, leave it like that for 10-12 hours. Some broken cucumber salad is made in an hour, but it turns out unbalanced, spicy and not very tasty. Be sure the dish must be infused, then there will be harmony.
Marinate the salad for up to 12 hours at room temperature
- Fry a good handful of sesame seeds in a dry frying pan for no more than two minutes, otherwise they will be bitter - cool.
Roasted sesame will go to decorate the dish
- We shift the pickled cucumbers, which have already “rested” their time, into a suitable serving plate, generously sprinkled with fried sesame seeds.
We serve the “broken” salad
- Beautiful, with a glossy sheen, broken cucumbers are served at the table. As you can see, Chinese-style smashed cucumbers acquire their aesthetics after they are completely ready.
It is difficult to say that the Chinese-style beaten cucumbers recipe is in the rank of the most healthy food. You need to understand - this is spicy food that is prepared for a specific occasion, for adults. A spicy, sour, spicy snack is suitable for a healthy person who decides to experiment, get acquainted with oriental cuisine, it should not be abused. But it can also be noted that the dish is vegetarian. An additional plus is the presence of hot peppers and garlic - these are natural antibiotics that can neutralize food as much as possible.
Despite some irony with the name, the cucumbers turned out to be unexpectedly tasty, spicy, with a sweet and sour note. By the way, if the marinade remains, you can pour it into a jar with an airtight lid and put it in the refrigerator - this will be an excellent salad dressing for another couple of days.